Proposal: Gate Content using any Rally Coin

Hello Gary, thank you for the comments on Discord. Though you are unable to meet any time soon, I posted your idea on an OnlyFans/Patreon using Rally CCs on our community dev Canny board and I will explain it during our community dev call this week: https://rallyboard.canny.io/community-projects/p/onlyfanspatreon-via-rally-coins.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you so much for the kind words! Appreciate it a lot!

Yes, $WAXM mentioned that he wanted to token gate his website as well as merch store on his website which prompted more in-depth conversations with other community developers and ambassadors.

In addition to $WAXM, we were thinking of targetting high-content creators who are interested in sharing exclusive content with their top token holders and/or enticing their fans to buy their Rally CCs to access exclusive content. The ideas are limitless but as a high-level, we have thought about these use cases as well:

• Twitch creators such as $ALLIE and $TINA record and gate a private live stream for their top Rally CC holders.

• Writers and media gurus such as $WOMXN and $MONTY gate exclusive insights on Ghost blog, Google Docs, etc. on their insights on social media, building community, etc.

• Communities such as $ART can create membership tiers and gate events, community docs, etc. for specific membership tiers (ex. can only access this community constitution if you are in Cool Factor Tier which requires you to own at least 150 $ART coins).

For our current standalone product, we created the following Discover page on our site: https://www.mintgate.app/discover and docs with use cases: https://mintgate.gitbook.io/mintgate-docs/introduction/use-cases-of-token-gating. Here are several examples of creators with ERC-20 tokens (we know that Rally CCs are not ERC-20s):

• Harrison First ($FIRST - Roll), a musician based in Sweden, gated a site that contained a newly released album via $FIRST token.
  • Global Coin Research ($GCR - Coinvise), a writing community, gates exclusive artists with specific insights into crypto for their top $GCR holders.
  • Uniwhales ($WHALE), a DAO, gates recording of their Zoom calls via $WHALE token so that only DAO members can access the recordings.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Hello all! Wanted to provide everyone with an update!

1. We are still working on calculating our hourly rate and will update with a new grant ask.
  2. We have followed up with several Community Ambassadors who are working with creators who are interested in token gating to create a simple MVP for a pilot.

For example, we are talking to $WOMXN to create a simple site that allows a user to input their userID, have the user balance public ID confirm their balance, and then have the site direct them to another webpage.

1 Like

An excellent, cleverly structured project. You set yourself very ambitious goals.

1 Like

Hello all!

We would like to follow up on our request. After research into the OAuth and recognizing that designing and integrating a widget into the Rally creator dashboard itself is likely out of scope for this proposal (We would need to follow up separately with the Rally Partnerships team), we would like to update the proposal to the following:

Additional testing and research of OAuth:
8 hours * $100 = $800.

Implementation of the widget (for creators to add to their sites):
40 hours * $100 = $4,000

Implementation of the the token gating API:
60 hours * $100 = $6,000

Testing and troubleshooting
10 hours * $100 = $1,000

Total: $11,800 in RLY coins.

We would like to provide each creator with two free token gated links. Any creator who creates more than two token gated links has to option 1) monthly subscription for $25 (in their Rally CC) a month for an unlimited number of links and analytics or 2) $5 for a one-time purchase of one link with lifetime analytics.

3 Likes

Hi Jennifer,

Great to see you’ve come up with a smaller $ proposal, so less of a hurdle I think in the end from that perspective.

I agree that getting something in place for gated content and that it will add value from that perspective.

Based upon your post from an month ago, you mentioned creator examples such as WAXM, ALLIE, TINA, WOMXN, ART, etc. Have you spoken to them and/or others and have they expressed their explicit need for this and the commitment to start implementing once available?

If yes - I’m fully in favor of your proposal. If no, I’m not that much of a fan, would hate to see something being developed and not being used.

Hello there!

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Yes, we are actively working with WOMXN to create a token gated website and business directory. We are currently drafting the technical specs and also doing research to identify a platform that meets her needs and then will be diving into the token gating front.

WaxMotif also expressed interest in a token gated site and we are actively working with a community ambassador to understand the full details.

Luke at Gensight saw a lot of success with token gated Clubhouse rooms via this proposal. We want to provide a way for this technology to implemented across any type of content.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

This is rad!

I’m looking at this proposal and the other proposal that will gate Clubhouse rooms. Can this widget also be used to gate clubhouse rooms?

What are the limitations with this vs. the competing proposal, and are they even competing or different in some meaningful way?

Trying to understand if it makes sense to fund one or both and how much overlap there is between these. Thanks - Grand

Also @lukepiette to weigh in here. Thanks!
Other proposal: Proposal: Gate Clubhouse Rooms using Creator Coins

2 Likes

@Grand Fair enough, happy to hear indeed if one or both of them would be beneficial for our community.

@jennifer_tran: thanks for the explanation and good to hear you’re having constructive talks on this with several of the creators. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Hello Grand,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I received more feedback on the developer community call and I believe that we should update the entire proposal with more technical details, as well as the updated numbers. Now that we received clarification that these proposals should be more focused tools for directly for creators instead of partnerships, we would benefit from restructuring the proposal.

Thank you,
Jennifer Tran

2 Likes

@ira is working on a proposal here. Great project

1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much for the update, Kevin! Can you please clarify what proposal Ira will be making? A more strategic partnership or help us get onto Snapshot?

Hello Grand,

I am not sure if I will have a moment to rewrite the proposal by the weekend but I wanted to address your questions.

Widget
We will need to redefine the type of widget.

The previous widget that we envisioned was a form that you can add to a website to set up the token gating. You can go to our developer site -> Powerful Suite of Widgets (Create Token Gated Form) and see this “widget” form to set up a token gated link. For example, a Rally could download this “widget” or “form” and add it to the Rally creator dashboard so any creator can create their own token gated links without going to the Rally site.Since we are not integrating with Rally quite yet, this type of widget probably would not be valuable to creators.

Instead, we are brainstorming on creating a Wordpress or Shopify widget where you can incorporate the token gating technology without additional code. For example, a creator can download a widget into their Wordpress site and then choose which pages are token gated. This type of widget would have more value to a creator. We would need more time to research this to understand the implementation required.

Limitations
When @lukepiette and I chatted earlier, Luke mentioned that his platform uses the public user balances API instead of OAuth to confirm that the user held the Rally CC amount. By using the user balances API, a user could input the username of another user who has enough tokens. Using OAuth would require a user to log in in order to confirm their balances. @lukepiette, can you please confirm that? Not sure if you incorporated OAuth. Would love to hear your plans to incorporate OAuth.

I also envision the technical method that Luke is using is different. We will use a proxy CDN that ultimately, once the system confirms that the user has enough tokens, the platform will proxy the content. This does allow for more flexibility for the type of content that you can token gate.

Hope that answers the questions!

Enjoy your weekend! This is great! More than anything, you and Luke have uncovered a demand for this feature from creators across platforms and I just want to do whatever I can to push this towards a proposal so you all can get building. Sounds like @ira is on it and she’s the best so I can chill out!

In the future, might be worth it for the community to add a Developer Liason to the Creator Council who can report on the weekly dev meetings and help us “rally” the community to move faster to support devs building great tools for Rally Creators. For the time being we’ll tap @phelpsgg to help in this capacity.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Jennifer! Love all your great write-ups, responses and thought leadership here. I’m posting to Snapshot the proposal to grant $11,800 in $RLY per your updated plan detailed earlier in this thread. Let’s get that one posted for the community to vote on first, and then please keep your ideas coming, for additional specific projects and as well for a more strategic partnership.

1 Like

Trying to but it’s hard to get much free time when web3 is moving so fast. Thank you for the support along the way! Phelps and Vajresh have been the main community ambassadors who have been in contact with us, and Skot, Head of User Experience, has led the community dev calls.

I think a starting point is to take meeting minutes during the community dev calls. But here’s the boards that the dev community posts requests/ideas/projects that you are working on: https://rallyboard.canny.io/.

Thank you so much, Ira! If it is for the $11,800 in RLY coins, then we would like to keep the proposal specs (Overview of the problem, The Solution, and Future Plans) as is.

Other community members encouraged us to develop a WordPress-like widget and it is likely out of the scope of this proposal.

If we need to add future pricing on the Snapshot, we would like to update the future pricing section.

We would like to provide each creator with two free token gated links. Any creator who creates more than two token gated links has to option 1) monthly subscription for $25 (in their Rally CC) a month for an unlimited number of links and analytics or 2) $5 for a one-time purchase of one link that is valid for a year.

Creators who want to access the APIs directly on their personal sites and projects will be billed directly. Creators and community devs can use the API for free up to one link and an additional $5 to $10 per additional link.

2 Likes

Hi this proposal was accepted/voted yes - has there been any progress on Mintgates behalf?

Hello there!

You can token gate content using $RLY coins on Ethereum!

We were having technical challenges on token gating of Rally creators coins since we built our complete platform based on Ethereum mainnet. We had to rework our entire platform in order to make it work on our end!

You can set up a token gated link using a $RLY coin at the moment but we’re working on fixing bugs on the Rally login side for the end user when they attempt to access.

Good morning all! Would like to provide an update that our integration is now live!

1. Go to https://www.mintgate.app/ and create an account.
  2. Go to Create → Token Gated Link or https://www.mintgate.app/create_link
  3. Input the web link that you would like to token gate (We’ve tested over 20+ platforms including Youtube, Soundcloud, and more) and a description
  4. Select Rally as the chain
  5. Select the creator coin that you want to token gate and the amount
  6. Create a link. You can now send the MintGate link to anyone and they will need the amount of the creator coin in their Rally login to access it!

We are working on:

• Enabling token gating of Rally AND Ethereum coins in one link
  • NFT gated links

We are looking for beta testers and feedback on what to build next! Reply to this or ping me on Discord at pythonspacecadet#3780 email me at jennifer@mintgate.io.

2 Likes