The unmet need for things to spend Creator Coin on has increased significantly. $PLAY is working diligently to meet this need. People know the $PLAY team as very active developers and community members. We are proposing a grant of 1.2M RLY to quickly build 5 high-value projects which together could generate upwards of 3-4M RLY per month.
The $PLAY team is known as a group of very active developers and community members.
Currently at nine strong today with three to four team members currently being onboarded, we are a dedicated crew and most are working full time on PLAY projects. Most team members have 20+ years of success in their areas of expertise. We have product management, engineering, technical art, audio engineering, sound FX, music production, data analysis, project management, infrastructure, marketing, and video production on the team currently.
We recently did our planning for Q3 2021, focused on revenue driving projects for the Rally Community: (Behind the Screen: Q3 Planning at $PLAY).
$PLAY team members enjoy being active in the developer community and participating in weekly Dev Calls,as well as the Community Creator Calls. Some of the names you will have seen include @davey, @ericb, @ktthekiltman, @hatboyzero, @arcanor, @hg, @robr, and @noelproulx.
Since our launch in late April, we have released projects and programs which many are familiar with and which have provided value to the Rally community.
- RallyBook: Data analysis around Creator economies
- Creator Voting Tool: Poll/Proposal tool for Creators Communities
- Creator Mastermind: Community to help Rally Creators connect and share best practices/brainstorming/support. 40 Creators strong and growing!
- LifePlay: Accepts donations and weekly Pledge donations to help kids/families attend programs, camps, outings through LifePlay grants (3 provided to date for families in need)
We have also helped some new coins launch (with more on the way!), worked with community developers on moving past hurdles, helped set up server infrastructures, explained Coin economics to new Creators, tested/debugged Rally APIs, and created the Creator Mastermind community to facilitate community Creator support/best practices/brainstorming. We’re also consulting with Rally on some major new projects and initiatives.
We’ve been spending around $10k per week on payroll. We have typically paid in $PLAY and will likely continue to do so in some form. We have been paying our core team members far below market rate.
The Need for Revenue Tools
Rally is onboarding new Creators FAR faster than tools to spend Creator Coins are being released. Considering the pace at which Rally wants to onboard Creators, this is not likely to slow. Most Creators are in need of both increased utility for their coin, and ways to view/analyze their economy to make better informed goals and decisions. Given the nature of the verticals many Rally Creators have within their purview, we’ve identified several high-value projects which the $PLAY team is motivated to launch in Q3 of this year and reasonably create a monthly influx of 3-4M RLY across the current 150-ish Creators.
Project: Creator Coin Game Platform
This system will allow $PLAY to launch and organize the development of many Unity WebGL-based games and experiences which are free, premium, or freemium, and which operate in a model similar to an App Store. Imagine an arcade game Tournament or weekly high score competition with prizes (possibly NFTs?) to stimulate community involvement.
- MVP Features: In-App-Purchase, web-based arcade, audience interaction, Creator customizations, coin-specific leaderboards, and fraud prevention. Of note, audience interactions mentioned here go way beyond tipping to involve multiple economic tiers which truly harness the varying levels of passion in Creator/Supporter relationships. Imagine helping or sabotaging the gameplay of your favorite Creator!
- Revenue Potential: Each casual game has the capacity to generate thousands of coin transactions per week and give supporters a new form of value exchange with which to enter a Creator’s economy, particularly during live streams. 25K RLY/Creator/Month with upside.
- Status: In progress, demo of basic IAP has been released on RallyBook.io.
Project: Creator Auctions
Web-based auction system using Creator Coin. Similar to old-school eBay. $PLAY can provide ideas to a Creator to help them make the most of their usage.
- Revenue Potential: Highly dependent on the nature and quantity of the items, probably good for some high-value items. Minimally, 1K RLY/Creator/Month
- Status: MVP near release
Project: VOD Gating
Coingated transcoding and delivery system for VOD (video-on-demand) and live-stream videos with Creator Coin or Creator Coin NFTs as tickets for live events. In Netflix style (ie open catalog) and Kajabi style (ie flow content or webinar)
- Revenue Potential: Per user revenue dependent on content value. Exciting and expansive set of use cases
- Status: Base MVP infrastructure and POC is complete, client UI in progress
Project: RallyBook v2
Economy analysis, daily, weekly, monthly flow KPIs, and dashboard tools to help Creators create and measure activity and growth targets.
- Revenue Potential: Additional perk for Creators to offer their community
- Status: v1 Active for several months with 14% DAU, 37% MAU, 40% WAU. Daily, Monthly, Weekly, Active Users respectively.
Project: Creator Coin Game Jam
A Shark Tank style Pitch Contest/Game Jam for Creator Coin games using the Creator Coin Game Platform. We will be drawing upon our Game Developer community of 35k members. Teams will pitch ideas to the community, be voted on/judged, assemble teams Startup Weekend-style, and be encouraged to work with Creators for inspiration. High level of promotion with mid-week team interviews and updates.
- Revenue Potential: No direct revenue, though we hope to incubate 3-5 casual games suitable for all Creators to utilize and onboard a few dozen more engineers into the Rally Community
- Status: Launching last week of July
Note: We are working on some other major unlisted projects for Rally and Creators which typically are funded separately, though some have simply been “good faith”.
After a few months, the $PLAY team has achieved a level of cohesion and cadence with daily standups, project management, new engineer onboarding, infrastructure, project specification, and productivity. It helps that most of the team has worked together in other startups or, in some cases, dozens of projects together over the last 20 years.
Our inbound pipeline for custom development work is robust, and more is on the way all the time. To meet existing demand, we need to immediately add 3-4 more Unity engineers, a senior full stack web engineer, an artist, and a designer. Additionally, we need to pay the team closer to market rate to enable them to dedicate full-time hours without needing to work on external projects.
We have already shown value to the community. You know us and some of what we can do. We have the experience, market, demand, and process, and specialized knowledge. The time to escalate and build is NOW.
Based on the guidance provided by this forum post and recently, this proposal discussion, we are proposing a single grant of 1.2M RLY to efficiently resource, build and deploy the above named projects in Q3 (and into Q4). We’ll be using a portion of the budget to operate, host services, review coin operation regulations, market, and award Game Jam prizes.
This budget/grant does not include projects which are pure $PLAY initiatives like LifePlay.
|Software, Game Creation Assets, Licenses, Equipment, Legal Review||$37,250|
|Marketing, Game Jam Prizes, gameplay incentives||$46,000|
|Labor: Game/Web Engineering||$276,923|
|RLY Equivalent (0.45)||~1,174,231 RLY|
Deliverables and Progress
You’ll follow the progress of the projects as we develop and launch through the already established channels in our Discord and weekly blog posts (This Week at Play) here: The PLAY coin blog. Actually, we probably won’t shut up about it
You can also stay up to date on $PLAY by attending or later listening to the audio or watching the video of our quarterly Town Hall Meetings held in Discord.
The development of the above named projects would likely precipitate a larger traditional external funding event for $PLAY when one or more of the initiatives expands past MVP into a major product.
We are grateful to be a part of this incredible Creator community and are excited to have the opportunity to play a role in its long term success. Thank you in advance for your consideration, and we welcome any and all feedback!
Yours in RALLY,
The $PLAY Team